Monday, August 1, 2011

The National

Breaking up sometimes means hunkering down with a bottle of wine, closing the blinds, switching off your phone, and crying like a little faggot.  You will find no better breakup music than this, my friends.  Even if everything in the world is going just fine.  Sometimes you just want to let it go for no reason.  You know, we won't tell.  Here's some kleenex, you little pussy.

I didn't realize what a shit day I was having Sunday until I listened to High Violet all the way through.  It was subliminal, subconscious, the way I felt.  I didn't realize what was happening until it was too late.  If you need to get it out, Matt Beringer will fucking find it in you.  Let him.


If you like these songs, which I totally do, go download their CD High Violet right now.  Amazon will sell it to you for six measly bucks.  Check out their website while you're at it.  You'll probably, like me, pick up shades of Red House Painters, Nick Cave, and Drift-era Scott Walker.

I've had a rough couple of weeks.  I think it's probably not self-indulgent, if you sometimes need to cry like a little bitch, which I kind of do.  Getting dumped sucks balls.  Matt Beringer can relate; his life must be infinitely worse.  He opens the door for a little sunlight with these albums, just far enough for us to sneak in and try to make sense of the oddly arranged vocal furniture.  It's no easy thing, getting through High Violet.  But fuck me, it's worth it.

No comments: