Friday, August 20, 2010

Howard Jones - The Balance Of Love (Give & Take)

I remember buying Howard Jones' One To One on cassette at a suburban mall record store all done up in pink triangles and green claw slashes.  I was 13 and completely in love with the (by then) ubiquitous Things Can Only Get Better.  Oddly the copy of One To One I wound up with didn't have You Know I Love You... Don't You? or (the insufferable) No One Is To Blame.  I seem to remember those coming out a bit later.

Howard Jones - The Balance Of Love (Give And Take)

Anyway, I couldn't find the MP3s from One To One anywhere (legally or otherwise) so as a last resort I ordered a used copy of the CD from Amazon.  Listening to these songs again is a revelation.  Most are dippy, some are fantastic.  This was the opening track on the cassette, and easily my favorite song that year.  It still sounds fresh and original to me now.

No comments: