Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Unholy Winds

Etmenns Derokwis knows a thing or two about conjuring up the swirling winds of Satanic madness. Tonight we explore an epic hair-raising masterpiece that pushes the concept of black ambient to its absolute breaking point.

I was lucky enough to first hear this track on my iPod while shopping for groceries in a busy, well-lit store. I'm not sure I would have fared as well had I attempted a first listen at home after bedtime.


It starts out innocuously enough but then slowly escalades into a nightmarish episode of gale-force winds and howling acoustics. Just when you think it can't possibly get any worse, he adds yet another layer until you're completely surrounded by a thousand flocks of squawking, angry birds.

Allow me to risk a bit of hyperbole: This is quite possibly the scariest song I think I've ever heard. Try listening to it alone at night in utter darkness, and let me know if you make it all the way through.

I haven't been able to.

No comments: