Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wix - The Sweatshop Breaks EP

This is my 1996 EP about smoking weed. Every minute of every song is dedicated to this most excellent pursuit.

Heavily influenced by the intelligent jungle movement of the mid-‘90s, I took it upon myself to smoke as much buddha as I could lay my hands on and combine sampling, timestretching, jazz, breaks, vocals, and atmospherics into one stoned-out listening experience. The result is a collection of early drum & bass joints that pay homage to my (then) musical heroes.

(I heard they don't allow you to play this EP in rehab because it causes relapses on contact.)

Wix - Wanted.mp3
Wix - Oak Street Bluesman.mp3
Wix - New Word.mp3
Wix - Starflex.mp3

Fun side note: this EP had limited release (read: I handed out copies to everyone I could in the tri-state area), and yet somehow they know about it in Germany.

Stoned-out thanks go to Ray Keith, Bay B Kane, Miles Davis, Goldie, D'Cruise, Roni Size, Krust, Herbie Hancock, Dillija, Squarepusher, Moby, Andy C, John Coltrane, Photek, LTJ Bukem, Alex Reece & dj Pulse (same guy?), dj Rap, Danny Breaks, and KBEM FM in Minneapolis.

Old skool jungle! What, what?

No comments: