Monday, January 12, 2009

Jason Herrboldt - Chemical Suit (Compressed)

Here's a song I wrote and recorded from back in the day. Sometime in 1990, while still figuring out how to make my two synthesizers and drum machine talk to my 4 track, a friend and I made an amazing discovery.

Anyone under 25 will probably won't know what the hell MIDI is, but us old school cats all have fond, fond memories. It was the coolest skill a starry-eyed 12 year-old could have, and all he (or she) could think about when wandering through a music store filled to capacity with electronic gear. (I even remember hearing an early techno song from back in the day called MIDI Rain.)

So a friend and I were dinking around in my studio when we realized we could send the MIDI outs from my drum machine to my keyboards, with amazing results. There are no recorded drum sounds, but if there were, you would notice that they coincide with the keyboard hits. That’s how I got the keyboards to sounds so random, yet repetitive.

Jason Herrboldt - Chemical Suit (Compressed).mp3

Made with a Roland Juno 106, a Yamaha DX-7, a Yamaha drum machine (don't remember which model), and a Tascam 4 track.

No comments: