Sunday, January 18, 2009

Audio Scrapbook: Election Night Mania

I thought I'd do my small part (from the far-off city of Minneapolis) to help ring in the Obama inauguration by posting an audio recording that has great meaning to me.

Election Night Mania.mp3

I recorded these sounds of victory and celebration coming through my open apartment windows with my Mac just an hour or so after the final election results became public.

Then I wandered outside, and it struck me that I've never been witness to something like this before in my life: People were shouting and waving their arms, hugging, wandering into the street to shake hands with strangers in their cars, and (of course) getting quite hammered. (At the time I lived on a corner near three bars and one very busy street.)

I think the Obama victory in November will be seared onto the national consciousness in a way that only a transformational moment can be. It is probably trumped in recent history only by 9/11. The current generations hold these two moments of history in their minds apart from any other.

These are our versions of JFK's assassination, of V-Day, of the Pearl Harbor attack: every one of us remembers exactly where we were and what we were doing on the morning of September 11th, 2001 -- and now I think the same can be said for the evening of November 4th, 2008.

This weekend's inauguration is a wonderful crown on Obama's amazing victory, and hopefully a new opportunity for America to rediscover its greatness.

No comments: