Monday, June 25, 2018
Monday, June 4, 2018
Sunday, March 11, 2018
So far the Class of ‘93 mixtape series has payed homage to those early rave genres we all know and love: hardcore breakbeat, techno, trance, jungle, acid. This time the focus shifts to ambient, a genre that enjoyed a brief spotlight in the early 90s, both in and out of the rave scene, and easily deserves a mixtape of its own.
Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Thursday, June 15, 2017
Don't worry if you're stuck at at desk job while your brain is stuck in the 90s — you can still have a rave in your headphones anytime you like! These old-school electronica mixtapes will take you back to where it all began.
Thursday, December 22, 2016
I recently wondered what I would pick if forced to choose my top 10 favorite albums. It took days. In the end I realized it was impossible, so I expanded the list to 20, which didn't make it much easier.
These are the albums I could never live without:
- Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
- Cocteau Twins - Victorialand
- The Cure - Head On The Door
- Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
- Wendy & Lisa - Wendy & Lisa
- Future Sound Of London - Dead Cities
- Coil - Love's Secret Domain
- Roni Size / Reprazent - New Forms
- Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Storm The Studio
- Autechre - Exai
- Ford & Lopatin - Channel Pressure
- Siouxsie & The Banshees - The Scream
- Lone - Galaxy Garden
- Everything But The Girl - Everything But The Girl
- The Fall - Dragnet
- Todd Terje - It's Album Time
- The Soft Moon - The Soft Moon
- Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
- Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky
Sunday, July 3, 2016
Once in a while an idea for a mixtape takes over my brain like a computer virus. It hits me all at once that I have all the requisite parts, a theme emerges, and suddenly it's not an idea anymore—it's an obsession.
- Tempo Beach Mixtapes Vol 1: Crushed Ice
- Tempo Beach Mixtapes Vol 2: Peppermint Chip
- Tempo Beach Mixtapes Vol 3: Sour Fruit
This time around it's electronic dance music with roots in soul, hip-hop, and R&B. The idea was to find those hidden gems in my collection that screamed summer, that screamed fresh fruit and hot sun. Some of these songs are brand new, some have been around for a decade, and some of them I've had since the late '80s. All of them, for one reason or another, I never got a chance to spin live. So this was a long time coming.
I threw together a quick playlist in iTunes and realized I was staring at over six hours of music. It took a massive effort to work it down to the best of the best, and even that only brought it down to three hours.
There was nothing else to do about it: I needed to make three mixtapes, and I needed to do it fast—it was almost the first day of summer.
Thankfully it only took a few weeks to get all three mixes recorded, and I couldn't be happier. These are some of my favorite, favorite artists and tracks. Kaytranada, Machinedrum, Lone, TEK.LUN, Evil Needle, and Pomo are the new torchbearers, while epic legends like 808 State harken back to an era when electronic dance music was just shaking off its pop and disco roots. In between there's Jazzanova, Ian Pooley, Timewriter, Pépé Bradock, and Justin Martin. Just an insane lineup of talent.
I hope you enjoy these mixtapes as much as I do. Now go get STOOPID!